A Real Corker, An Interview With Simon Thorpe MW
In this week’s episode of The Grocery Insider, in association with HRA Global, we speak to wine industry consultant, Simon Thorpe MW. You can listen to full Interview With Simon Thorpe on the Grocery Insider podcast, or via Apple Podcasts or Spotify.
0 – 8:43 Introduction to Simon
- Simon started at Fortnum and Mason and moved into the buying team at Waitrose.
- Gaining his MW qualification.
- Using his extensive experience to set up a consultancy for the wine industry.
8:43 – 17:05 The MW qualification and Simon’s buying experience
- Simon talks us through the requirements of the MW qualifications and his experience.
- Think back to your old job selecting wine for Waitrose, what advice would you give to your former self?
17:05 – 24:45 The innovation of gin and craft beer
- It’s one of the truisms of wine at the moment that the innovation in Gin and Craft beer has left Wine behind, why do you think that is?
- How the lockdown is affecting our relationship with wine.
- What will change with the on trade environment at the end of the summer?
24:45 – 29:47 Australian wine
- What about Australia and South Australia in particular – are there any producers over there that we should watch out for?
- What impact have the bush fires had?
29:47 – 32:30 European wine
- French producers in particular make some very fine products but others in the market say they ave a lot to lose, how do you see the prospects for french producers?
32:30 – 43:00 The new dawn
- Which wine companies out there do you admire and why?
- Important factors of players who can face the current challenges and who can remain sustainable.
- How do you see the battle between ‘new world’ and ‘old world’ wine playing out?
43:00 Challenges in the future
- What are the biggest challenges that the wine industry is facing and can it get through it?
If you would like to feature on the podcast or have any questions, get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org.